Tuesday 10 November 2015

Daily Bible Reading with DragoNate #51

Bystanders

Obadiah

I pray blessings on you as you read.

(v. 10-11) "Because of the violence against your brother Jacob, you will be covered with shame; you will be destroyed forever. On the day you stood aloof while strangers carried off his wealth and foreigners entered his gates and cast lots for Jerusalem, you were like one of them."

My Thoughts

Are you at all responsible if someone does wrong to another and you are just an 'innocent bystander?' These two verses taken from  the book of Obadiah suggest so. Think about it, if you saw someone bullying someone else and you did nothing at all, is that right? What about if the victim saw you and cried out to you? Now put yourself in their shoes. If it was you, how would you feel if no one did a thing when you know very well that someone saw it?

Have you ever been in such a situation? I know I have, and while I don't remember every single time, I know that one incident at school, I went and got a teacher because two kids were starting to fight. I honestly cannot say that I have stepped in for every situation I've witnessed, mainly because I do not remember. I am sure though, that there were a few times where I was just a bystander. I am sure God isn't too happy with us when we just ignore problems like bullying, even if isn't a severe form.

It is very hard though, sometimes. I mean, what are you supposed to do when a parent is yelling a their child in the middle of a store for seemingly no reason, or at least not a good one? It's not really my place to do anything about that, is it? I guess that really depends on the exact situation though. Either way, unless they are being outright abusive to their child, what are you supposed to do? Even then, it would probably be more appropriate for an authority figure to step in.

Really, in any situation, as I have said before, pray about it and ask God if He wants you to step in and how. The main thing here is that we need to do something when we see someone being bullied. That person would be amazingly grateful to you for stepping in and you may actually make a new friend as well. Even when you think that there is nothing you can do, there is probably something. Thinking that is just an excuse to make us feel better about not doing anything, and believe me, I've done the same thing.

Let's try to be more a bit more attentive and observant about what is going on around us from now on, you and myself. I don't want to be a bystander anymore. If we notice little things, say someone is picking on someone else, maybe they're siblings or friends and one is calling he other a chicken, tell them that it isn't very nice. Definitely speak nicely to them because you don't want to cause any other problems. Just keep and eye and an ear out.

Previous PostNext Post


Prayer Time

Now you talk to God about what you read, and you can even read this chapter of the Bible for yourself before you do.


Let me know your thoughts on this reading as well.

Thank you for taking the time to read, I pray that what you have read blesses and inspires you! Godbless!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Please be respectful and do not comment anything that is hateful, hurtful or illegal. Thank you!

Heart Page Buttons YouTube Twitter Facebook Pinterest Tumblr Google Plus Bible Reading List Main Website