Monday 21 December 2015

Daily Bible Reading with DragoNate #92

Speak Up

Job 32

I pray blessings on you as you read.

(v. 4) "Now Elihu had waited before speaking to Job because they were older than he." (v. 8-12) "But it is the spirit in a man, The breath of the Almighty, that gives him understanding. It is not only the old who are wise, not only the aged who understand what is right. Therefore I say: Listen to me; I too will tell you what I know. I waited while you spoke, I listened to your reasoning; while you were searching for words, I gave you my full attention..."

My Thoughts

Elihu was afraid to speak and tell what he knew because he was younger than the others and thought that, since they were older, they should be the ones to speak. Once he became angry, he decided that he would speak as well, saying that it is not only the old who are wise, but it is the spirit in a man that makes him so.

Elihu is right. It is not only the old who are wise. Young people can have just as much wisdom, or even more. There is no reason why a younger person shouldn't be able to speak on something just because there are older people who are as well. You still want to respect your elders, but there is no reason you can't have a say.

Sometimes people are afraid to speak in a group, for any number of reasons. Maybe you're afraid to be wrong, or of sounding stupid or of being misunderstood. Maybe you're like Elihu, you think that you don't have a right to speak. Me personally, I have a kind of stage-fright like thing. If it's a bunch of people I know, I don't care as much. I have been wrong before, or sound stupid before, but it's really not that big of a deal. In some classes, we are asked a question and I give my answer, and it is wrong. Most of the time, the question is something no one in class really knows and the teacher or instructor was really just testing to see if we had an idea.

The thing is, if you answer questions with an educated guess or with a completely honest answer, that is better, in my opinion at least, than not answering at all. You might be wrong, but at least you had confidence to try. If it is that you have a question, then ask it. Again this is my opinion, but there is no such thing as a stupid question, unless you are asking it out of stupidity. If you seriously do not know or seriously want an answer, or otherwise are serious about your question, then it is not stupid at all. Even if you are 25 years old and you don't know the meaning of a particular word.

If you don't ask questions, you won't learn. It is good to ask questions, and it is healthy to ask questions. If you don't speak up much, maybe it's time you start. I used to be very introverted. Now, I am little better. I still don't like being in large groups of people, especially if I am speaking or doing anything in front of them, but I am not super nervous anymore. God has helped me so much with that, and He can help you too.

At least once in a while, start speaking up. Start in smaller settings if larger ones are still uncomfortable, and give your opinion, ask your questions, answer other's questions. Soon you'll be so much more confident and others will be asking you how you can so confident.

Prayer Time

Now you talk to God about what you read, and you can even read this chapter of the Bible for yourself before you do.

Let me know your thoughts on this reading as well.

Thank you for taking the time to read, I pray that what you have read blesses and inspires you! Godbless!

2 comments :

  1. I truly believe this and my motto has been, "The only stupid question is the question not asked." So ask and answer just like DragoNate says. But yes, be respectful of your elders, this is important to remember.

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful and do not comment anything that is hateful, hurtful or illegal. Thank you!

Heart Page Buttons YouTube Twitter Facebook Pinterest Tumblr Google Plus Bible Reading List Main Website