Tuesday 8 December 2015

Daily Bible Reading with DragNate #79

Nothing Without Love

1 Corinthians 13

I pray blessings on you as you read.

(v. 1-3) "If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing."

My Thoughts

One of my most favorite songs, The Proof of Your Love by For King and Country, is all about this chapter of 1 Corinthians. If you haven't heard that song before, you should, it is amazing. This chapter is absolutely true. What do we gain if we have not love? We are truly nothing without love.

I honestly think that 1 Corinthians 13 is pretty self-explanatory. God is love, remember. If God is love and we do not love, we do not have God in us. You can believe all you want that God exists. Faith that He is real and that He is powerful and that He can do all things is not enough for you i you do not have love.

Love is such a beautiful thing, and versatile. There are many different kinds of love. The love you have for family is different than that for your friends, and both are different than that for your pets. There's a different kind of love for your siblings than your cousins, your parents and grandparents, your partner/spouse and your children. We are even supposed to have love for our enemies, which will be different than that for strangers.

It is even possible to have an unhealthy kind of love, which would be something like a love of money or other possessions. That's not where our love is supposed to be. There's also how we say "I love (insert food/movie/game/color/whatever here.) When we say this, unless we mean that we devote our lives to whatever it is, it is not really bad. It is a figure of speech and a stronger way to say that you really, really like or enjoy something. I don't believe there is anything wrong that.

The love that God has put in us; the love that is so powerful and versatile, is for living beings and nature. It is not meant for material things. We are to love God's creations, which means the animals, our planet, and each other. To love your enemies means to love them like Jesus loves those who are against Him, and believe me, He does. We don't need to go and give them a hug or anything, but we need to acknowledge that they are God's children too and respect them as such.

Practice love. A little bit of love goes a very long way and can make the world a little better. Show love to someone in some way, even if it is just a simple smile or a kind word. These small things make a big difference.

Prayer Time

Now you talk to God about what you read, and you can even read this chapter of the Bible for yourself before you do.

Let me know your thoughts on this reading as well.

Thank you for taking the time to read, I pray that what you have read blesses and inspires you! Godbless!

1 comment :

  1. "Love" this one (really, really like). If you don't have love in your life you have really nothing!

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful and do not comment anything that is hateful, hurtful or illegal. Thank you!

Heart Page Buttons YouTube Twitter Facebook Pinterest Tumblr Google Plus Bible Reading List Main Website