Tuesday 17 November 2015

Daily Bible Reading with DragoNate #58

Asking for a Sign

Isaiah 7

I pray blessings on you as you read.

(v. 10-12) "Again the Lord spoke to Ahaz, 'Ask the Lord your God for a sign, whether in the deepest depths or in the highest heights.' But Ahaz said, 'I will not ask; I will not put the Lord to the test.' "

My Thoughts

Ahaz said no to asking God for a sign because he did not want to put the Lord to the test. This whole passage is a little bit confusing to me because Ahaz said no, then Isaiah seems angry, asking "Will you try the patience of my God also?" That's the part I am confused about. Unless it is because God told Ahaz to ask for a sign and he didn't, otherwise I thought that would be a good thing.

What I take away from this is that we that we need to stand firm in our faith. Faith is relying on God, trusting that Him and believing in Him without question and without a need or affirmation. Asking for a sign that what God says is true is like saying, "God, I hear what you're saying, but I need proof that that it is true." That is not at all how faith works.

Now, this isn't to say that affirmation of your faith is a bad thing. There are things that happen all the time that affirm and strengthen my faith in God. It becomes bad when we have to constantly seek affirmation. Again, that is not how faith works. If you have to keep searching for a reason to keep faith in God, then obviously a part of you wants to stop believing. Faith means what I said above, whether you see God or not or when you think He isn't there. God is always with us by the way, He will never leave us or forsake us.

We can't go constantly searching after signs of God's presence and truth and promises. That is not at all pleasing to Him. If you are ever unsure, pray and ask God to strengthen you. Turn to the Bible. It is normal to have doubting thoughts and weak moments. In fact, these things can strengthen us similar to how the flu shot does. It builds up immunity, or rather resistance, to it. If you don't let them persist and overwhelm you, but you take it to God, you will only grow stronger.

So, don't go chasing after affirmation of your faith. If that is something that you do often, stop and reevaluate. Think on why you 'need' that affirmation and think on all the behind-the-scenes stuff. Take it to God in prayer and ask Him for strength and clarity.

Previous PostNext Post


Prayer Time

Now you talk to God about what you read, and you can even read this chapter of the Bible for yourself before you do.


Let me know your thoughts on this reading as well.

Thank you for taking the time to read, I pray that what you have read blesses and inspires you! Godbless!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Please be respectful and do not comment anything that is hateful, hurtful or illegal. Thank you!

Heart Page Buttons YouTube Twitter Facebook Pinterest Tumblr Google Plus Bible Reading List Main Website